Thursday, February 10, 2011

I'm Baaaaaaaack!

In the summer before my senior year of college, my pal Julie and I were at the bar when a trio of cute guys starting talking to us. Since we had the same name, naturally we decided to tell these guys that we had the same birthday and it was THAT DAY! Well, hook, lie and sinker. Because after we shared that gem the shots were flowing in our honor for the rest of the evening.

So after our birthday party commenced, we all decided to head down the street to their friend's party. And I was chatting with this adorable guy named Brian who was that shy bad boy. You know, like if he was in a boy band, he'd be the tattooed white guy with cornrows who came in during the instrumental and in a soft voice said, "Oh girl, don't leave me this way. I love you girl. Baby. Please. Much love. Foreva." and that was his only role in every song.

Anyway, Backstreet Boy and I were walking and talking a few feet behind the rest of the pack. Which was kind of nice because then we could finally converse without screaming over the bar noise. And then the group was a full block ahead of us. And then two blocks. It was at this point I realized he was walking really slow and nervously scanning the sidewalk like it was covered in hypodermic needles. So then I stopped walking and said, "Are you okay?"

He looked at me like I was crazy, led my eyes down to the pair of impeccable white K-Swiss shoes on his feet, stepped over a puddle and kept going. I'm surprised he didn't ask me to take off my overcoat, lay it over said puddle and hold his hand as he crossed.

I don't want to shock you, but things didn't really work out between me and this man. Homeboy was a freak about keeping his kicks immaculate. Between his shoe OCD and the fact that he'd said he was in law school but I found his school ID to the local community college in the seat of his car. He just pulled it out of my hands like I was handing him a stick of gum and calmly turned left at the light. Oh and he called me a week later when he was out with his boys and interrupted our chat to yell, "Skeet, skeet, skeet" at a female who he said was walking by.

I don't even know what I was thinking hanging out with him multiple times. I think my brain was off at summer camp because I was a fool. Especially for his blue-green eyes. Sigh.

I guess that's just what happens sometimes. In the beginning it's easy to ignore the little things because his smile makes the world around you look like Pee Wee's Playhouse. He asked you to split the tab? Sure! He's got dimples I could drink milk out of. He likes trance music? Party on! He's got eyes like honey.

So while I'm not paranoid, I'm just trying to be a little pickier as I come off my dating hiatus. Not that it was a planned break, things just got busy in my world for a bit. I'll never leave you again. Unless my career as a popstar takes off.

Crazier things have happened.

No comments: