Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Fling Cleaning

Earlier today I was cruising the wonderful world of Facebook when I noticed my "friend," aka Bob Loblaw, had been tagged in some photos. Since I tired of his need to call me "Babe" and I lied and said I was busy the handful of times he asked to hang out, I haven't spoken to our hero.

To be honest, I could never figure that man out. He seemed to have a good sense of humor, was well educated and from the way he spoke he was close with his family. But then he'd do something weird, like ask me if I'd go with him to a party, for our first hang out mind you, to celebrate his passing the bar, so that his family and friends could "finally meet the gorgeous girl" he'd been talking up. I just scrunched up my face writing that.

Anyway, since I've never met him and would probably pass him unknowingly on the street (I'm totally lying. I'd probably see him walk by, remember he's a man I exchanged pleasantries with via text message but never met in person, pull my scarf up to my nose and cross the street, only to steal a few more glances before I walked away assessing whether or not he was cuter in person.) I looked through the Facebook photos that he'd been tagged in.

I walked away with two conclusions.
1. Bob's still got in goin' on. There's no denying this boy is very cute.
2. Bob keeps...interesting company. In the plethora of photos of this boy out on the bar scene, nary a photo lacked a girl with stringy extensions, orange skin, black eyeshadow and her girls peeking out of some low-cut shirt. Let's just say Bob never learned to take out the trash. In fact Bob swan dove right into a Hefty bag.

So after creeping around on his social diary for a bit, I stopped and thought, "Well, I dodged a bullet!" Which led me to wonder why I was still "friends" with this stranger. What's the etiquette of online dating and Facebook? Isn't it weird that I have this "friend" who can scan my photos (guilty, I know) and see what kinds of guys I've been seeing socially or read a wall posting from a friend about what bar we're all headed to that Friday night?

I mean, I defriended my ex because I didn't need him trolling around my profile, waiting for the first sign of new meat and then writing something like "last night was so special" or "hey thanks for ruining my life" on my wall.

I decided it was time for the boot and told our online friendship to take a long walk off a short pier.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Facebook. Another frontier in the war of dating and social akwardness. My rule of thumb is: If you think the person would never adress you in Real Life to ask why you're no longer his/her friend on Facebook, then you are free to boot them any time you want ^__^ Just a shame when it's a cute guy! *giggle*

Froggy said...

Totally agree with anonymous.... but it's always nice to be able look at their pics.