Tuesday, June 14, 2011

You're Outta Here!

In our last episode, I introduced you all to engineer extraordinaire, Lex Luthor. Well we had made plans to get drinks last week on a patio, but then I canceled because it was a Tuesday night and the start of my beach volleyball league. But now the ball’s in my court, and I’m not so sure I want to even meet this man. Because I’m getting the feeling that he’s kind of....a douchebag.

The first time we chatted was via text convo. Which is pretty lame, if you ask me. What happened to days of yore, when the boy called the girl’s house, holding his breath, sweaty palms clutching his post-it containing his conversation points, praying her father didn’t answer, or that the breathing on the other line wasn’t her nosy little brother listening in on him ask her to the movies, his ego and street cred all on the line for 10 little words.

Anyway, Lex texted me to say that I should pick a day and we’d meet at this beer patio in between our ‘hoods and have some drinks. And he added, “Because I’m pretty busy and see no point in texting back and forth if only to meet and not hit it off.” Umm okay. I get that you don’t want a pen pal. Fine.

So I said that sounded good, and to tell me what his schedule was like.

Well this was right before Memorial Day weekend, and we both had fam coming to town, so he said, “Let’s try for June.” So Memorial Day comes and goes, and on the second of June I get a text from Mr. Luthor, asking if I could meet that following Tuesday.  Not realizing that my league started that night, I gave him the green light for our first date.

Four days before the big date, I realize my scheduling error (how could I forget beach volleyball??!!) and texted Lex with the news. He replied with, “Sure. I’m pretty busy so shoot me a date and we’ll make it happen.”

Well I went on my merry way through the weekend, not really thinking much more about the convo. Three days later, I shot him a text saying, “Wanna reschedule?” to which he replied, “So you’re telling me there’s a chance?” Thinking he was referencing Dumb and Dumber, I jokingly replied, “I’m tellin’ you there’s a chance!”

I don’t think he got the joke, because his text tone was as sour as a jar of lemon juice. “Okay. Well I’m really busy so you just tell me a date and we’ll make it happen. Good luck to you!”

Wait, what? Good luck?

He’s kind of a pissypants, if you ask me.  So I replied, “You too!” not really knowing why we were wishing each other luck, but not one to deal with passive aggression via text message.

Last night he asked me what my week looked like, and I haven’t replied to him yet. Idk. I get a bad vibe from him. If he’s this short and douchebaggy with a total stranger, what’s he going to be like to a girlfriend?

Whether he’s just a big fat jerk, or jaded from the dating scene, I don’t really care. I do not need to waste my time finding out.

But just in time, a super cute teacher who works with kids who have special needs and coaches baseball has come up to bat. We're getting together for appetizers this Thursday. 

So he's changing kids' lives and basically saving the world every day. I'm pretty excited about breaking bread with Superman.

2 comments:

Donna said...

I agree. Lex Luthor sounds like a douche--aptly named! P.S. I always love reading your posts.

Froggy said...

How did apps go with superman?! Lex does sounds a little douchey but interested cause he keeps on texting you! It's hard to tell a persons tone of voice in text.